\osborne\biograph\bio18  7/31/2002

Bio. of Leroy G. Osborne-8267


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 533.  (transcript)

LEROY G. OSBORNE, a prominent resident of Georgetown, is deserving of
especial mention in this volume, not only because of his high standing as a
citizen, but for his honorable record as a soldier, his service in the Civil
war having been terminated by a serious injury at the first battle of
Winchester.
   Mr. Osborne was born March 19, 1845, in the town of Weston, this county,
a son of Aaron and Mary C. (Gregory) Osborne.  His education was obtained in
the common schools of Georgetown and Redding, and his first experience in
business life was as a clerk in a drug store at Westport.  After a short
time in that position he went to Norwalk and spent one year, later removing
to Millersburg, Ohio, where he was engaged in a general store business for a
year.  He then passed some time in Brooklyn, N.Y., but at the breaking out
of the Civil war he enlisted in Company C, 67th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in
which he served as a corporal.  On March 23, 1862, during the first battle
of Winchester, he was severely injured in an explosion, and on August 8,
1862, he was discharged at Harrison's Landing, Va., for disability.  He now
receives a pension on account of his injuries.  As soon as he was able to
resume business he went to New York, and for a time he was employed as a
clerk in various places, including Lord & Taylor's, A.T. Stewart's, the
Importers and Traders Bank, and the Fourth National Bank.  He also engaged
in a storage business there, but after a short time gave it up and settled
at Georgetown, this county.  He entered the employ of E.A. Mallory & Sons,
of Danbury, and on leaving them went to New York City, and traveled for a
while for Smith & Palmer, and Hooper & Pryor, hat manufacturers.  Later he
returned to Georgetown to make his permanent home, and he is now thoroughly
identified with the interests of that place.  He is not expecially active in
politics, but is a stanch Republican in belief, and has at times served as
registrar of voters.  Socially, he is connected with the G.A.R., Robert
Anderson Post No. 58, and with the F. & A.M., Knickerbocker Lodge No. 642,
both of New York City.  In 1865 he married Miss Lida Carpenter, whose family
history is given below.  Their only son, Harry C., born February 21, 1869,
in the town of Redding, is now in the employ of the Gilbert & Bennett
Manufacturing Co. at Georgetown.  He married Miss Lydia Rapson, wo was born
in Cheshire, Conn., September 30, 1869, a daughter of John and Priscilla
Rapson.  Three children have blessed this union: Caroline S., born May 10,
1889; Catherine C., August 16, 1891, and Loraine G., February 16, 1896.
   On the paternal side our subject is a great-grandson of Burton Osborne,
who was born in the town of Weston, this county, and after obtaining a
common-school education learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed
throughout his life.  He and his wife, Sarah (Godfrey), reared a family of
three children: Hezekiah R., our subject's grandfather; Ruth A., who married
Orace Smith, and Molly Azor Batterson.
   Hezekiah R. Osborne, the grandfather of our subject, was a native of the
town of Redding, where he engaged in farming.  He was an excellent citizen,
and for many years was an active member of the Methodist Church at
Georgetown.  He married Miss Esther Olmstead, and had seven children: Laura,
who married Charles Scribner; Aaron, our subject's father; Eli, who married
Charlotte Belden; Horace, who never married; Ann Augusta, wife of Aaron O.
Lee; Lucy, wife of Samuel Perry; and Hezekiah B., who married Dell Reynolds.
   Aaron Osborne, the father of our subject, was born in the town of
Redding, October 11, 1818, and died January 24, 1887.  His education was
acquired in the common schools of that town, and in early manhood engaged in
the making of cheese cases for the Gilbert & Bennett Manufacturing Co., with
whom he worked some fifty-two years.  Politically he is a firm believer in
Republican principles, but he did not aspire to office; in religious faith
he was a Methodist, being an active member of the Church of that
denomination at Georgetown.  He and his wife reared a family of four
children: (1) Sarah Malvina was born in the town of Weston in 1843, and grew
to womanhood in this county.  She married (first) Dr. A.D. Sturges, a
physician now practicing in Danbury, and (second) S.C. Parmalee, a dry-goods
merchant of the same city, by whom she has had two sons, Paul and Samuel.
By her first marriage she had one son, Leroy Osborne Sturges, who was born
in the town of Redding, April 25, 1865, and now resides at Branchville, in
the same township, where he is engaged in carpentering.  Previous to
entering upon that occupation he had followed farming for a time, and in his
youth he was employed in several different enterprises, including the Mutual
Union Telegraph & Telephone Co., of New York, the Gilbert & Bennett
Manufacturing Co., of Georgetown, where he worked one year, the Danbury
Telephone Company, and the Schuyler Electric Light Company, of Danbury,
with which he was connected for two years.  He is a member of the
Congregational Church at Georgetown, and in politics is a Republican.  At
times he has served on the grand jury, and he has also been constable.  In
1888 he married Miss Carrie E. Fillow, who was born in the town of Redding
April 21, 1866, a daughter of Aaron Fillow (a well-known carpenter of the
town of Wilton), and his wife, mariette (Gilbert).  She is an excellent
helpmeet, having rare business ability, and conducts an extensive trade as a
dressmaker.  Their only child, Mary Cordelia, was born July 13, 1889, and
died November 30, 1891.  Dr. Albert D. Sturges, the father of Leroy O., was
born in the town of Wilton, a son of Eliphalet and Sallie A. (Davis)
Sturges, who had four children: George B., Henry B., Albert D. and Addie.
In early manhood he followed the butcher's trade, but became a veterinary
surgeon and later a physician.  After the separation from his first wife,
Sarah M. Osborne, he married Miss Millie Parsons, but they have no children.
   (2) Leroy Gregory, our subject, was second in the order of birth in the
family of four children born to Aaron and Mary C. Osborne.  (3) Henry B. was
born in the town of Redding, and was a prosperous carpenter there.  He died
September 26, 1898.  He was a member of Arch Lodge No. 39, F. & A.M., at
Georgetown.  He married Miss Ida St. John, who died August 23, 1895, and had
two children: John G. and Lida E.  (4) William Hubert, a native of the town
of Redding, is in the employ of Andrews & Co., of Danbury.  He married Miss
Sarah Sanford, and has one daughter, Grace S.  Fraternally, he identified
with the F. & A.M. and the I.O.O.F.
   MRS. MARY C. GREGORY OSBORNE, who is now a highly respected resident of
Georgetown, was born in August, 1821, a daughter of Miles Gregory, of
Danbury.  Her paternal great-grandfather, Ephraim Gregory, married Esther
Stevens, and had four children: Samuel, the grandfather of Mrs. Osborne;
Elijah, who married Hannah Benedict; Anna, wife of Caleb Benedict, and
Eliphalet, of whom no account is given.
   Samuel Gregory was married to Lorana Olmstead as early, probably, as
1785 and certainly, by 1790.  They had ten children: Miles, Mrs. Osborne's
father; Czar, wo married Eliza Morehouse; Harry, who married Hannah Barnum;
Ephraim, who was married January 4, 1815, to Rachel Stevens; Stephen O., who
married Phoebe Fairchild; Esther, wife of Timothy B. Hickok; Cordelia, who
married Andrew C. Hickok, and died June 7, 1885, at the age of ninety-three;
Eliphalet, who married Jane Barnum; Hannah, wife of Weed St. John; and
Samuel, who married (first) Joanna -----<sic> and (second) Eliza -----<sic>.
   Miles Gregory married Annis Bronson, by whom he had nine children:
<Additional information on the Gregory family was not transcribed from the
biography.>
   The Carpenter family, <some Carpenter family information not
transcribed.>
   William B. Carpenter, the father of Mrs. Lida M. Osborne, was born in
1825, at the old home in Glen Cove, L.I., and was educated in the common
schools of the town.  He learned the carpenter's trade, but for some years
of his early manhood he followed the sea.  Later he was appointed on the
detective force in New York City, and after a few years took a position as
stage carpenter in the Metropolitan Opera House, in the same city.  During
the Civil war he was appointed by President Lincoln to act as a spy, and did
good service in that capacity.  In religious faith he was a Quaker.  He
married Miss Susan Hoffman, a daughter of John and Eliza Willis Hoffman,
and had one child, Lida M. (now Mrs. Osborne), who was born May 16, 1848,
in New York City, and obtained her education in the public schools of the
metropolis.


Bio. of George R. Osborn-7192


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 729.  (transcript)

GEORGE R. OSBORN.  Notwithstanding the prevalent idea that American business
men are absorbed in the struggle for the "almighty dollar," it is a
recognized fact that they are of a high type of citizenship.  The subject of
this sketch, a well-known manufacturer of hardware at Bridgeport, is a
representative of the best element in business life, his fine presence and
sympathetic manner lending a courtly grace even to a chance greeting, while
his well-stored mind makes his conversation of rare interest.  His fluent
and choice language makes one wish that he had tested their abilities in
some line of effort which would have developed oratorical power.  If he has
a "hobby" it is mineralogy, in which he has made extensive research, but he
shows a wide and accurate knowledge of general topics, especially history,
religion and politics.
   Mr. Osborn belongs to an old and highly esteemed family.  His grandfather,
Elisha Osborn was born and reared in the town of Ridgefield, this county,
and became an extensive dealer in horses, collecting thousands annually from
all parts of New England and selling them in New Haven, where they were
shipped to the West Indies.  This well-known citizen passed his last years in
Woodbridge, Conn., his death occurring in 1788.  His wife, Elizabeth (Peck),
was a native of New Haven county, and a member of a prominent family of this
State.  They had eight children: Elansen, a shoe dealer at De Witt, near
Syracuse, N.Y.; Merritt, a draftsman of marked talent, who made a specialty
of designs in wood work; Elihu, our subject's father; Elizur, a merchant,
who died in early manhood; and Amelia, Clara, Lucinda and Maria.
   Elihu Osborn, the father of our subject, was born in Woodbridge, and
during his youth learned the comb maker's trade at Bethel with P.T. Barnum.
For some years he was engaged in that business at Seymour, Conn., and later
he manufactured builders' hardware at New Haven, where he died in 1860.  He
married Esther Strong, who was born in Southbury, Conn., a daughter of Noah
Strong.  She was of English descent, and her ancestors were early settlers
in this State.  Six children were born of this union: (1) Maria died in
infancy.  (2) George R., our subject, is mentioned more fully below.  (3)
Charles M., who served in the navy during the Civil war, died in 1875.  (4)
Frederick B. was in the navy previous to the Civil war, making a trip to the
Mediterranean Sea during his term of service; he also served on the "Niagra"
at the time the Atlantic cable was laid, and helped in that enterprise; when
the war of the Rebellion broke out he organized a company and went into
active service, taking part in thirty battles, including  one of the
engagements at Bull Run; he escaped injury and returned home in safety, but
in June, 1865, he was killed on the New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad,
while in the employ of that road.  (5) Eugene F. was drowned in New Haven in
1848.  (6) Miss Esther M. resides in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
   Our subject was born September 4, 1831 in New Haven county, Conn., and his
education was mainly obtained in the schools of Woodbridge, although he also
attended school in New Haven for a short time.  At the early age of ten
years he was thrown upon his own resources, and after serving an
apprenticeship in the business of manufacturing firearms he worked at his
trade nearly thirty years in different places, spending about three years in
Kansas.  He also made some profitable deals in real estate, especially
during the period preceding the Civil war.  About 1860 he returned to the
East, locating at Ilion, N.Y., where he spent six years working as a
contractor in manufacturing guns at the Remington armory.  He then went to
Chicopee Falls, Mass., to make a sewing machine for the Lamb Knitting Machine
Co., and in 1866 he engaged in the manufacture of birdcages there, being the
first to make the bright metal cages now so popular.  After a few years he
sold out his interests there to two parties; in 1867 he removed to Bridgeport
with his machinery, and continued in the same line of business for a time.
Later he organized the Osborn Manufacturing Company, and opened an
establishment in Bleecker street, New York, which is still in operation
although he is not now connected with it.  After twelve years with that
concern he engaged in the manufacture of surgical instruments on Elizabeth
street, New York, and afterward he remodeled the plant and began
manufacturing art hardware.  In the spring of 1889 he removed to Bridgeport,
where he built a large brick factory, and he has since made a specialty of
fine metallic articles of an ornamental nature, or combining use and
ornament.  His embossed metalic goods show the highest artistic skill and
taste, and among the hundreds of articles to be seen in his shops are album
easels, of five different designs, bowl easels, cup and saucer easels,
cusion easels, fan easels, frame easels, plan and plate easels, panel easels,
picture and photo easels, panel easels, shell and white-wire easels of all
kinds, cup and saucer hangers, cup, saucer and plate hangers, plac hangers,
series plate hangers, photo hangers, bouquet holders, lamp screen holders,
photo holders in ten designs, banner stands, banner rods, nut pix, nut crax
and glass medallions.  He has offices in New York and Chicago, and his
different goods are in demand in all paarts of the country, such dealers as
Marshall Field & Co., of Chicago, sending large orders.
   In 1861 Mr. Osborn married Miss Clarissa Williams, of Syracuse, N.Y., who
died in 1876, and in 1878 he formed a second matrimonial union, this time
with Miss Sarah Boorman, a native of Sherman, N.Y.  By his first marriage he
had two children: Frederick E. (deceased), and Howard M., who is general
agent for his father's business.  Socially, the family is prominent, and Mr.
Osborne<sic> is connected with the Masonic Fraternity and the Knights of
Honor.  Politically, he is a stanch Repbulican, and he has alway taken keen
interest in the issues of the day, having been especially active in the
stirring times Kansas before the Civil war.  While in New York he was always
interested in municipal affairs, and since his removal to Bridgeport he has
given careful attention to local affairs, his fellow-townsment showing their
appreciation of his ability and public spirit by electing him in 1896 as
elderman from the Eighth district.


Bio. of Stephen C. Osborne


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 750.  (transcript)

STEPHEN C. OSBORNE.  One of the most notable features of modern American
life is the rapid development of the business man of large affairs.  With a
back ground of sterling ancestry, brimming, it is true, with latent
capability, but without experience in wide business affairs, it has needed
only the occasion or the opportunity to convert a young American into a
merchant or manufacturer of influence and position.  One of the successes in
this line has been signalized in the career of Stephen C. Osborne, a
prominent manufacturer of No. 651 State street, Bridgeport, Conn.  He is yet
a young man, but has won his way quietly from an honored heritage of
agricultural pursuits to a proud position in an important manufacturing
center.
   Mr. Osborne's paternal ancestry is of English extraction, which has been
grounded in the woof of American life from an early date.  His
great-grandfather, Oliver Osborne, was one of the largest landholders in New
Milford, Litchfield Co., Conn.  His grandfather, John Osborne, followed
agricultural pursuits in the same locality.  His father, Stephen Osborne,
was born in New Milford, May 6, 1826, and followed in his earlier life the
occupation of his ancestors.  Later, he added carpentering and building to
farming, and became in time an extensive contractor.  Stephen Osborne
married Mary Elizabeth Cruise, daughter of Sir John Cruise, an Irish
nobleman, and granddaughter of Sir Edward Cruise, of Cruiseland, now one of
the wealthy estates of Ireland.  Lord Athenray, of the English House of
Lords, is a cousin of Mrs. Osborne.  To Stephen and Mary Elizabeth Osborne
were born six children -- five Sons and one daughter -- all living, as
follows: Stephen C., Daniel J., Henry S., David Francis, John Cruise and
Lillian C.  The father died May 16, 1890, aged sixty-four years.  His widow
survived him until November 21, 1895.
   Stephen Cruise Osborne, the subject of this sketch, and the eldest child
of his father's family, was born in New Milford, September 19, 1863.  He was
educated in the public schools of his native town, completing the course of
instruction at a very early age.  He at once entered mercantile life as a
young clerk in a grocery store, and later was in a clothing store at New
Milford.  Then in 1880, at the age of seventeen years, he sought a wider
field and removed to Bridgeport.  There for two years and a half he was
employed by A.W. Wallace, grocer, and by the Village Store Company, having
charge of a store for the latter.  He returned to New Milford in 1884 to
accept a position as general agent for W.B. Bostwick, of Bostwick Brothers,
button manufacturers, and with him a little later again took up his
residence in Bridgeport, becoming assistant superintendent and shipping
clerk.  That position he retained for three and one-half years, or until
July, 1887, when the factory was sold to Wilison Knight & Co., and with the
new firm he remained until January 1, 1888.
   Mr. Osborne was now twenty-five years of age, experienced in commercial
affairs.  The question of entering business for himself he seriously
considered, and made the resolution to devote his energies and capabilities,
whatever they were, in some line which he could himself control.  He began
by opening an office for rent collecting, insurance and real estate at his
present location, No. 651 State street, Bridgeport, and has followed it ever
since.  He branched out a little in 1889, and started a shoe store.  The
same year he purchased what is now known as the West End Livery Stable,
retaining possession of the former six months and of the latter two and
one-half years.  Becoming impressed in the fall of 1890 with the idea that
there was a market for cheap plated silverware, he established with Smith P.
Glover, of Newtown, and William H. Ohara, of Bridgeport, the firm of S.C.
Osborne & Co.  They started a jobbing business in silverware.  The two
remaining partners, in July, 1892, purchased the interest of Mr. Glover.
Trade flourished, and goods could not be procured to fill orders.  To supply
the demand, a plant employing one hundred hands was erected by the firm in
Wallingford, New Haven Co., Conn., in the spring of 1894.  This was disposed
of later when an advantageous offer was made, the firm agreeing to take most
of the output.  The firm, S.C. Osborne & Co., was dissolved January 3, 1896,
and since then Mr. Osborne has been sole owner of the business.  In
September, 1895, the New England Silver Plate Company was organized under
the laws of Connecticut for the purpose of jobbing silverware, with
principal offices at Bridgeport.  Mr. Osborne is president and treasurer.
In business he has been very successful, and his prosperous career is all
the more notable because of the comparative youth at which it was realized.
   Nor has Mr. Osborne confined his talents exclusively to business.  In
April, 1892, he was appointed, by Mayor Merigold, a member of the board of
assessors for a two-year term, re-appointed in 1894 by Mayor Bostwick, and
again by Mayor Clark.  On this board Mr. Osborne effected a substantial
reform in the methods of taxation, by insisting upon and securing a more
just and uniform method of assessments.  In 1893 he was elected president of
the board, and successively re-elected each year thereafter during his term
of office, and by his devotion to the public work to which he has been
assigned he has become one of the potent and positive forces of the city he
makes his home.  He is justly regarded as one of the ablest of the younger
Democratic leaders in the State.  His advice is frequently sought by men
prominent in political affairs, and his success as an organizer has been so
repeatedly and successfully demonstrated that it has come to be regarded in
the councils of the local Democratic party, that without Mr. Osborne at the
helm much that is desirable is unobtainable.  Prior to the recent municipal
campaign he was besieged by representative Democrats to allow his name to go
before the convention for the nomination for mayor, but his rapidly-growing
business interests influenced him in opposing the desire of his friends.
His decision is all the more regrettable because it lost to the municipality
a mayor who, besides being a man of the highest probity, would have given
the city a business man's administration the like of which it never had
before.  Mr. Osborne belongs not to that class of politicians that are in
politics simply and solely because there is something in it for them.  His
time, and it has proven to be very valuable in the past, has always been
placed at the disposal of his party gratis.  Being a man of independent
means, courageous and loyal to whatever he professes, he has won the respect
of those who differ with him on the tenets of political economy.  Mr.
Osborne is destined, unless he himself should decree it otherwise, to shine
in the local political firmament.
   Mr. Osborne was married in 1891 to Miss Edna L. Bissell, daughter of
George S. Bissell, of Bridgeport, and their family consists of three
children: Margerie, and Stephen Roy and George Robert, twins.  Socially, our
subject belongs to the Sea Side Club and Algonquin Club, and fraternally, to
Pequonnock Lodge No. 4, I.0.0.F.


Bio. of Richard Waldo Osborn-7201


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 768.  (transcript)

RICHARD WALDO OSBORN is a descendant of one of the oldest families of New
England, his ancestors having come from London, England, to this country as
early as 1634, in which year Capt. Richard Osborn located in Hingham, Mass.,
among its first settlers.  The line of descent in the mother country can
also be traced far back, one Osborn (first name unknown) having come to
England in the train of William the Conqueror.  The name signifies "Great
Bear," and the family coat of arms carries out the same idea.
   Capt. Richard Osborn, above mentioned, did not remain long in
Massachusetts, as he is soon heard of in Connecticut, and he served in the
Pequot war in 1637.  Prior to 1640 he removed to New Haven, and in 1653 took
up his abode in Fairfield, where he was still living in 1671.  He had two
sons: (1) Capt. John Osborn, of Fairfield, who married Sarah, daughter of
James Bennett, before 1673, and died in 1709; and (2) David, also of
Fairfield, who married Abigail Pinckney (daughter of Philip Pinckney), of
East Chester, N.Y., whither he had removed, being a proprietor of East
Chester as early as 1665; David Osborn died in 1679, and on November 10,
that year, his widow as appointed administratrix of his estate.  Beginning
with the third generation in this country, our subject traces his descent on
the paternal side as follows: (3) David Osborn married Dorothy -----; (4)
William Osborn married Elizabeth Turney; (5) Isaac Osborn married Martha
Higgins; (6) Isaac Osborn married Hannah Knapp; (7) Isaac Osborn, father of
R.W. Osborn, married Caroline Priscilla Osborn, daughter of Richard and Ann
(Bronson) Osborn.  On the maternal side also, as will be seen, his first
ancestor was the Capt. Richard Osborn above spoken of; (2) David Osborn
married Abigail Pinckney; (3) Richard Osborn married Sarah ----- (he first
chose as his guardian his uncle, John Pinckney, of Eastchester, N.Y., and
later, in March 1689 or 1690, chose his uncle John Osborn, of Fairfield,
Conn.  He bought land in Ridgefield June 4, 1713, of Richard Whitney, and
his ten children are recorded there, though it seems that only three were
born there); (4) David Osborn, born in November 1700, married Rachel Keeler
(he was the first of the family to settle on the property at Starrs Plain,
which was owned successively by his son, David, grandson James,
great-grandson Richard and great-great-grandson James, who sold it some
years ago); (5) David Osborn, born September 25, 1729; (6) James Osborn,
born December 4, 1766; (7) Richard Osborn, born July 29, 1801.
   Isaac Osborn, the paternal great-grandfather of Richard W. Osborn, was
born September 6, 1740, and died in 1816.  He married Martha Higgins, who
was born October 11, 1745, and died in 1823.  The record of their children
is as follows: Mabel, born February 4, 1764, died April 8, 1847; Hannah,
born September 10, 1769, died March 19, 1789; Jasper, born July 19, 1771,
died December 11, 1773; Mary, born May 11, 1774; Isaac, born March 11, 1776,
died March 25, 1850; Sarah, born April 22, 1779, died April 22, 1843; Aaron,
born February 27, 1781, died in 1807; Turney, born May 19, 1782, died
September 12, 1855; Samuel, born December 29, 1787, died July 18, 1870.
   Isaac Osborn, born March 11, 1776, married Hannah Knapp, who was born
March 26, 1781.  They had a family of twelve children as follows: (1) Thier,
born April 15, 1800, married Eben Treadwell, of Lyons Plains.  (2) William,
born June 10, 1802, married Anna -----.  3) Knapp, born September 8, 1804,
married Katherine Nash; he was a wagon maker by occupation.  (4) Aaron, born
July 19,1808, married a Miss Rockwell, and died in Texas; he was a shoemaker.
(5) George, born September 4, 1810, married Sarah Goodsell.  (6) Polly, born
November 16, 1812, married William Nichols.  (7) Edmond, born December 26,
1814, married Mary -----; he lived for a time in Philadelphia, but finally
removed to Texas at the time of its separation from Mexico, and there passed
the remainder of his life, engaged in merchandising, in which he was very
successful financially; he took an active part in the Texan war, doing good
service under Gen. Sam Houston.  (8) James, born December 26, 1817, married
Fanny Jelliff.  (9) Isaac, born August 16, 1819, married Caroline Priscilla
Osborn.  (10) Hannah, born March 20, 1822, married Thomas Lounsbury.  (11)
Samuel, born November 16, 1825, married Harriet Squire; he learned the
tailor's trade, which he followed, and in connection with his brothers also
speculated in stock to some extant.  (12) Charles, born January 30, 1829,
married Amelia -----.  The father of this large family was, like his
ancestors, a farmer, and his sons, with the few exceptions mentioned,
followed in his footsteps.  The entire family seems to have a fondness for
the business of stock handling.
   Isaac Osborn, father of our subject, farmed on the parental homestead
until he was twenty-four years old, when he married.  The first farm he
bought for himself was in the Bennetts Farms District, and later, in 1858,
he purchased of Amos Smith a tract of about eighty acres at Ridgefield to
which he added twenty-one acres, the property now occupied by his son
Richard W.  Until 1868 he engaged in farming exclusively, and in that year,
selling the place just spoken of, bought the Starrs Plain farm, to the
cultivation of which he devoted his time for the next three years.  His next
venture was in the cattle business, which he followed for some years,
operating on an extensive scale.  He made many trips to northern and western
New York, buying stock which he brought east to sell, and was successful in
this line, being one of the largest stock dealers in his section of the
country.  In his later years he became interested, with his son, in the
lumber business.  During his earlier years Mr. Osborn was a teacher, and the
habits of reading and study then formed made him known eventually as a
well-informed man.  He had strong personal characteristics, was possessed
of considerable natural ability as a business man, and was capable,
energetic, and determined in all he undertook.  As might be expected, he was
always active and prominent in the affairs of his locality, but he never
sought office.
   Isaac Osborn married Caroline P. Osborn, and they reared a family of five
children, viz.: Sarah Ann Eliza, born March 6, 1845; Richard Waldo, born
November 11, 1850; S. Ernest, born June 15, 1855; Jessie Mandana, born
December 28, 1862; and Caroline Winifred, born May 5, 1867.  The eldest
daughter married Peter M. Osborn, and lives at Danbury, Conn.  Ernest was
married on February 10, 1876, to Rebecca Richard Couch Osborn.  Jesse died
August 29, 1864.  Caroline W. is living with her brother Richard.  The
father of this family was a faithful member of the Methodist Protestant
Church.  He died December 1, 1894, being preceded to the grave by the mother,
who passed away January 11, 1884.
   Richard W. Osborn was engaged as his father's assistant in business until
September, 1879, when he took up the lumber interests which have since
occupied his attention.  The firm was originally I. Osborn & Son, but in
March, 1895, William A. Gilbert was admitted to partnership, and the name
changed to Osborn & Gilbert.  They have a trade which they are constantly
increasing, and do a thriving business, being the only firm of importance in
their line in this section.  Mr. Osborn is a great reader, and keeps well up
with the times in every way.  In political sentiment he is a strong
Republican, as was his father before him; his grandfather was a Whig.  Mr.
Osborn has been registrar of voters, but has held no other public office,
his business affairs occupying all his time and attention.
   On August 30, 1893, he wedded Miss Annie Talman, daughter of Alfred
Talman, of Spring Valley, Rockland Co., N.Y.  They are members of the
Ridgefield M.E. Church, in the welfare of which they take an active interest.
Fraternally, Mr. Osborn is a member of the F. & A.M., being affiliated with
Jerusalem Lodge No. 49, of Ridgefield.


Bio. of Edward Osborn-7230


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 912.  (transcript)
   (bio. accompanied by photograph)

EDWARD OSBORN, the only male representative left of a once very numerous
family in the town of Fairfield, and one of the the substantial well-to-do
citizens of that locality, was born in the village of Fairfield, February 2,
1847, in the house wherein he now lives and which he owns.
   The Osborn family is of English ancestry, the first of whom in this
country, Richard by name, in 1634 set sail from London, England, in the good
ship "Hopewell," and after his arrival in the New World first located, in
1635, at Hingham, Mass., removing thence to New Haven, Conn., in 1639.  For
service and bravery in the Pequot war he received a "land warrant" from the
government, said land being near the center of the present village of
Fairfield, between that owned by John Cable and Thomas Stonington, and he
finally bought that of Cornelius Hull, adjoining.  In July, 1644, he took
the oath of fidelity.  He came to fairfield between 1650 and 1653, became
one of the dividend landholders of the town, and lived thre until November,
1682, when he removed to Westchester.  Thre he died, deeding his real estate
to his son John and his heirs forever.  He became a freeman in 1692.
Richard Osborn was a prominent man in Colonial days, and a leading spirit in
all public matters.  He was the father of seven children: John, Hannah,
Priscilla, Sarah, Mary, Elizabeth and David.
   John Osborn, son of Richard, was in his day one of the influential
citizens of Fairfield.  He married Sarah Bennet, daughter of James Bennet,
in July, 1677, and their children were Hannah, Samuel, John, David, Joseph
and Elizabeth.  The father died July 15, 1709.  David Osborn, son of John,
married, and his children were as follows: David, born February, 1707;
William, May, 1709; Sarah Jane, June, 1711; John, November, 1713; Eleazer,
January, 1715; Dorothy, November, 1717; Hannah, February, 1720; Grace,
January, 1724; and David, August, 1726.  Sergeant David Osborn, the father,
died in 1732.
   Eleazer Osborn, son of David, was married June 29, 1738, to Hannah
Bulkley, and their children were Eleanor, born April 11, 1739; Sarah, May
27, 1741; David, September 3, 1743; Gershom, April 23, 1746; Hannah,
November 21, 1748; Grissel, March 14, 1751; Ellen, December 18, 1754; and
Ebenezer (no date given).  The father of this family died May 20, 1788.  He
served as a lieutenant in the French and Indian war.  Gershom Osborn married
a Miss Wilson, and had three children, viz.: Seth, who for years resided on
Osborn Hill, and at this death left three sons and two daughters, all now
deceased; Gershom (2); and Grissel, who married a Mr. Bradley, of South
Carolina, and died in Fairfield, leaving one daughter, who died at the age
of sixteen years.
   Gershom Osborn (2), grandfather of Edward, was born August 14, 1777, in
Fairfield, and was yet a boy when his father moved to what has for years
been known as "Osborn Hill."  Here the lad was reared, and here in after
life he followed agricultural pursuits.  On December 13, 1808, he married
Miss Anna Burr, who was born December 28, 1776, at Westport, Conn., daughter
of Ephraim Burr, a Revolutionary soldier.  The children by this union were:
Albert; Gould, born March 3, 1813, who went to California in 1849, and died
there in 1872; Eliza, born January 20, 1815, died at the age of twelve
years; Jane, born May 14, 1816, now living in the town of Fairfield, the
widow of Henry Sturgis; Edward, born June 6, 1818, deceased when young; and
Catherine, born March 28, 1820, living in Fairfield, the widow of John
Nichols.  The father of this family passed from earth February 22, 1827, the
mother on July 9, 1831, and they were buried in the old cemetery at
Fairfield.  They were members of the Congregational Church.  In 1816 he
purchased the land whereon our subject now makes his home.
   Albert Osborn, father of Edward, was born February 12, 1811, on the home
farm, but when he was ready for school his father removed the family into
the village of Fairfield in order that the children might have better
educational privileges.  Like his forefathers, Albert was a life-long
farmer, and he was a widely-known and highly respected citizen.  On December
24, 1835, he married Maria Staples, who was born July 22, 1817, at Newtown,
Conn., daughter of Samuel Staples.  She was left an orphan in her girlhood,
and then went to live in the family of her cousin, George Peck, at one time
keeper of the jail at Fairfield.  Mr. and Mrs. Osborn made their home
throughout married life at the old homestead of the family in the village of
Fairfield, and followed farming.  The children of this honored couple were
Elizabeth, born June 18, 1839, died unmarried February 22, 1863; Harriet,
born September 3, 1842, died unmarried in June, 1868; and Edward, our
subject, being the youngest.  The father died June 23, 1865, the mother on
January 27, 1861, and their remains rest in Fairfield East cemetery.  They
attend the Congregational Church; in politics he was a Republican.
   Edward Osborn, whose name introduces this review, received a liberal
education in part at the public school of Fairfield, and in part at the
Academy.  He was eighteen years old at the time of his father's death, and
being the only son had to succeed him at once in the work on the farm.  On
November 6, 1872, he was married to Miss Mary Helen Nicholson, daughter of
Charles and Anna (Head) Nicholson, who now live in Bridgeport, Conn.  Mrs.
Osborn is a native of England, born March 18, 1847, in Holbeach,
Lincolnshire.  Mr. and Mrs. Osborn have two daughters, Harriet Staples and
Henrietta.  They are active members of the Congregational Church, in which
Mr. Osborn is a deacon.  Socially, he affiliates with the Greenfield Hill
Grange; politically, he has always been a stalwart Republican, and he has
served his borough as selectman one term, is filling his fourth term as
assessor, and for several years has been one of the school committee.  Mr.
Osborn is one of the leading and popular citizens of the community, and
those who have known him from boyhood are numbered among his stanchest
friends, while the entire family stand high socially.  The historic old
structure, known as the "Powder House," is situated on his farm, and at this
writing is being repaired and restored by the D.A.R., who desire to preserve
it.


Bio. of Thomas S. Osborn


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 939.  (transcript)

THOMAS S. OSBORN, a widely known successful contractor and builder of much
experience in his line, with residence at Norwalk, Fairfield county, is a
native of New York City, born August 4, 1857.
   Rev. Thomas G. Osborn, father of our subject, was born October 15, 1820,
at Riverhead, Long Island, a son of Dr. Thomas Osborn, also of Long Island
birth, who was a son of Daniel Osborn (born January 24, 1741, died July 11,
1801), who was a son of Capt. Daniel Osborn (born August 13, 1713, died
August 5, 1779).
   Daniel Osborn, father of Capt. Daniel Osborn, a carpenter and joiner by
trade, came from Maidstone, Kent, England, prior to 1649, and settled at
Lyme, Mass.  In that year a certain Thomas Osborn moved from that city to
New Haven, where he took a small colony and settled at East Hampton, Long
Island.  Our subjectís great-grandfather Osborn was a graduate of Yale, and
about 1783, also later, was a member of the Assembly.  His name appears as
supervisor of the town of Southold, Long Island, from 1789 to 1796.  Our
subject's grandfather was a practicing physician at Riverhead, L.I., and was
a very prominent man in his time.
   Rev. Thomas G. Osborn, father of our subject, received his earlier
education at the neighboring schools of his place of birth, and afterward
entering the Wesleyan College, at Middletown, Conn., graduated from that
institution at the age of nineteen years.  Deciding to make Preaching of the
Gospel his life work, in the Methodist field of labor, he studied theology,
and becoming duly qualified commenced his studies at Southampton, afterward
stationed at Bridgehampton, Patchoque, Birmingham, Conn., Bridgeport,
Waterbury, Brooklyn, New Haven, Riverhead, Port Chester and Riverhead, L.I.,
last of all at Norwalk, Conn., as presiding elder.  He was presiding elder
three terms, twelve years, after being at Port Chester, and before going to
Riverhead the last time.  After he gave up preaching he made his home in
Norwalk, Connecticut.
   In 1846 Rev. T.G. Osborn married Miss Jerusha Cook, who was born at
Bridgehampton, L.I., a daughter of John Cook, of that locality, and four
children were born to them, namely: Mary E., Thomas G., Isabella C. and
Thomas S.  Of these, Mary E. married Henry Storer, of Brooklyn (formerly of
New Haven), Thomas G. died in infancy and Isabella about eleven years ago.
The mother of this family died August 25, 1857, the father on February 27,
1888.
   Thomas S. Osborn, of whom this sketch more particularly relates, was
reared in Riverhead, L.I., until he was about eleven years of age, but was
educated chiefly at Norwalk, Conn.  Returning to Long Island in 1876, he
there learned carpentry; but after three years he once more came to Norwalk,
and worked at his trade until 1885, when he commenced in the contracting and
building line, which he has continued ever since with gratifying success.
   On October 1, 1890, Mr. Osborn married Ada M. Wakelee, who was born in
the town of Huntington, Fairfield Co., Conn., a daughter of George Wakelee,
of that place (son of Charles Wakelee), and Emily J. (Jones) Wakelee, who
was born in Sheffield, Mass.  Five children graced this union: Helen G.,
Thomas G., Clara W. and Isabella F. and Ruth.  Ruth died in infancy.  Mr.
and Mrs. Osborn are members of the M.E. Church at Norwalk; socially, be is
affiliated with the I.0.0.F.; politically, like his father before him, he is
a Republican.  He is highly respected in the community in which he lives as
a public-spirited, loyal and useful citizen.


Bio. of Charles F. Osborn-9441


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 1184.  (transcript)

CHARLES F. OSBORN, whose death, on February 25, 1897, is still fresh in the
minds of his fellow citizens of Norwalk, where he lived in retirement for a
number of years previous, was one of the most esteemed residents of that
place.  On October 13, 1814, there died in Norwalk Jacob Osborn, who had
long been prominent in the affairs of the town.  For years he taught the
village school, and by precept and example inculcated lessons of industry
and morality.  He also served as town clerk, and in many ways showed his
interest in municipal affairs.  His wife in her maidenhood was Betsey
Jarvis, and they became the parents of Lewis, Frederick, Maria, William,
Charles (mentioned in full later on), George (1), George (2), and Eliza.
The family were faithful members of the Established Church.
   Charles Osborn was born in Norwalk, in 1792, and in 1807, after acquiring
such education as might be obtained in the common schools, he went to New
York, where he served his time in the jewelry business, following it as a
means of livelihood until 1820, in which year he embarked in the real-estate
business.  He rapidly advanced to the front rank, becoming agent for such
men as Gen. S. Van Rensselaer, Gen. Morgan Lewis, John Jacob Astor, etc.  In
1841 Mr. Osborn laid aside business cares, and returning to Norwalk passed
the remainder of his life in close retirement.  Of a naturally reserved
disposition, he took but little part in any affairs that would render him at
all conspicuous.  Courteous and manly in bearing, and strictly honorable in
all his dealings, he was held in the greatest respect by all who knew him.
When twenty-three years of age he married Miss Huldah Jarvis, daughter of
Noah Jarvis, who was of French and English extraction, and six children were
born to them: (1) Elizabeth married Aaron Hardman, and both are now
deceased.  (2) Charles F. is the subject proper of this sketch.  (3) Maria
and (4) Julia both died in infancy.  Frances married Charles H. Jennings, of
Ridgefield.  (6) George, deceased, was at one time in the real-estate
business in New York City.  The father of this family died in March, 1869,
long preceded to the grave by his noble wife, who passed away September 18,
1827.
   Charles F. Osborn was born September 28, 1818, in New York City,
remaining there until 1850, when he joined his father at Norwalk.  Like his
father he engaged in the real-estate business, and held the confidence and
esteem of the same wealthy element in New York, where his business was as
extensive as that of any agent in Gotham.  Having acquired a fortune largely
of his own accumulation, he, too, desired to pass the remainder of his life
in its enjoyment.  On March 23, 1841, Charles F. Osborn was married to Miss
Caroline Kellogg, of Norwalk, who died April 1, 1864, leaving no issue.  On
April 19, 1865, Mr. Osborn was again married, his second wife being Mrs.
C.A. Maybury, formerly Miss Harriet E. Smith, a daughter of Stephen Smith,
of Norwalk.  One child, Clarence F., blessed this union.
   In politics Mr. Osborn was first a Whig, but he became an independent
voter, casting his ballot or the men and measures that, in his, judgment,
seemed best calculated to promote the general welfare.  For many years he
served as trustee of the Savings Bank, and he was a man whose advice in
matters of finance was much sought.  He was actively interested in the
Episcopal Church, to which the family have belonged for generations, for
many years serving as treasurer and vestryman, and he was one of the
trustees in support of the Diocese of Connecticut.  His closing years were
passed quietly, his private affairs taking up all the time he cared to give
to business, and the major portion of his days being passed in the enjoyment
of the luxuries supplied by his abundant wealth.  His generosity to those
less fortunate than himself, his ready, help to those deserving, made him
one of the best loved men in the town.


Bio. of Martin K. Osborn-7250


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 1279.  (transcript)
   [See the bio. of Horace M. Osborn-7249]

MARTIN K. OSBORN, whose death occurred on April 10, 1878, was one of the
substantial citizens of Fairfield county.  Born in 1818 in Brookfield, Mr.
Osborn was a son of Ezra and Rachel (Kellogg) Osborn, whose other children
were: Henry B., Ezra B., and Orrin H.
   Martin K. Osborn married, January 15, 1840, Lois Vail, a daughter of
Oliver Vail, of Stony Hill District, Bethel, and their children were: (1)
Mary E., born December 19, 1842, died April 11, 1888; she married Lemuel
Beach Clark, a sketch of whom follows.  (2) Charles B., born November 8,
1840, was killed in battle at Sharpsburg, Md., September 19, 1862.  The
mother of these survives.  The father was a farmer, and resided in Stony
Hill District, of the town of Bethel; he dealt largely in cattle, and was
an active, energetic amn of affairs; in his political views, he was a
Republican.
   Lemuel Beach Clark, mentioned above, is a son of Zachariah Clark, who was
born August 27, 1808, and was married, May 4, 1831, to Sarah Ann Camp, who
was born February 14, 1811, a daughter of Lemuel and Sarah Camp.  Three
children came of this union: Lemuel B. (1), born September 27, 1832, died
July 14, 1834; Lemuel B. (2), born May 7, 1837; and Sherman Beers, born
September 11, 1845, died March 10, 1887.  The mother of these died June 23,
1854, and the father on December 24, 1854, wedded for his second wife,
Sarah Ann Gregory.  He died February 27, 1875, his widow in November, 1890.
   Lemuel B. Clark married, March 23, 1864, Mary E. Osborn, and two children
were born to them, as follows: Jennie E., March 22, 1865; and Fred Beers,
January 23, 1868.  The last named was married, August 29, 1894, to Nellie
Tompson, and two children were born to them: Bertha E. and Fred B., both
living.  The father was called from earth November 9, 1896.


Bio. of Horace M. Osborne-7249


   Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Connecticut,
   Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1899.  Page 676.  (transcript)
   [See the bio. of Martin K. Osborn-7250]

HORACE M. OSBORNE, a well-known business man of Bridgeport, is a member of
the firm of Osborne Bros., leading grocers of that place, and his enterprise
and sound judgment are recognized in the rapid development of their trade.
   Mr. Osborne belongs to an old Connecticut family, his ancestors having
settled in Brookfield at an early day.  It is known that the family
originated in England, but the first of the name of whom we have a definite
account was David Osborne, our subject's great-grandfather, who was born in
Brookfield March 2, 1766, and lived to the age of eighty-one.  He was a
farmer, but in early life learned the trade of carpenter and builder, and
worked at same mostly through life.  His original sayings were quoted for
many years after he was gone.  His wife, Matilda, lived to be seventy-four.
Ezra Osborne, our subject's grandfather, was born and reared in Brookfield,
where he engaged in farming.  He married Rachel Kellog, a member of one of
the pioneer families of New Fairfield, and they had four sons, viz.: Martin
K., of bethel, a farmer and stock dealer; Henry B., a carriage manufacturer
of Danbury; Burton, a farmer, of Brookfield; and Orrin H., our subject's
father, who is now the only surviving member of the family.
   Orrin H. Osborne was born July 25, 1832, in Brookfield, and learned the
carriage maker's trade with his brother, Henry B., of New Fairfield.  After
becoming of age he removed to Bridgeport, and was connected with the Wheel
and Wood Bending Company for five years, afterward engaging in the grocery
business.  He then removed to Bethel, and carried on the milling, flour and
feed trade for nearly twenty-eight years.  At present he is with his sons,
Osborne Brothers.  His wife, whose maiden name ws Amanda Griffith, was born
at Huntington, Long Island, daughter of William H. Griffith, a highly
esteemed citizen of that place.  Our subject is the eldest of four children,
the others being Frank H., who is connected with the Graphophone Company in
Bridgeport; Fannie P., wife of George A. Platt, of Bridgeport, and Robert
M., a partner of our subject.
   Horace M. Osborne was born on Kossuth street, near Washington Park,
Bridgeport, April 2, 1856, and when three years old his parents removed to
Brookfield, where they remained about five years, our subject's education
being begun in the public schools of that town.  The family then returned to
Bridgeport, where he attended school for two years, but his course was
completed in the schools of Bethel.  On leaving school he went to Bridgeport,
and was employed for seven years as a clerk by William H. Griffith, a grocer
on Fairfield avenue, and for six years by George E. Cleveland, a grocer on
State street.  In March, 1892, he bought a grocery store on the corner of
Noble avenue and Jane street, which he conducted alone for five years, or
until 1897, in which year he admitted his brother, Robert, as a partner,
under the firm name of Osborne Bros.
   On November 30, 1882, Horace M. Osborne married Miss Christina W.
McCormick, a native of Springfield, Mass., and a daughter of Edward
McCormick, who was born in New York, of Scottish ancestry.  One son,
Chester W., brightens the home.  The family is much esteemed socially.  Mr.
Osborne is a member of the Park Street Congregational Church, and of various
organizations, including Arcanum Lodge No. 4., I.O.O.F., at Bridgeport.  In
politics he is a stanch Republican.